Friday, September 7, 2018

Hermessence Poivre Samarcande, Hermès

This to me has something in common with Diorama, which also contains caraway, but this is drier, less floral of course. I'd also say it leans a bit towards masculine.

The opening notes are quite sweaty and animalic but pepper is there too giving a nice edge.

It becomes altogether softer after half an hour, less animalic,then the oakmoss starts to do its thing and exudes a lovely hazy dry, sophisticated elegant musk. (in another review ISO E musk was mentioned, I'm not sure I recognise that but this does have a muskiness that's not altogether natural so that must be it, it's not harsh to my nose, but it depends how sensitive you are to synthetic musks)

The oakmoss is definitely what gives this perfume its classic style, but it feels contemporary too - not too complex. Also the woody notes are lovely - the nutty scent and pencil shavings effect of cedar and the dryness of oak, but there's something soft and milky there - what perfumers describe as 'lactonic' I suppose.

All in all, a perfect unisex perfume for those who enjoy woodiness with a bit of complexity. I'm pleased to have discovered this some time after it was released because I love woody perfumes but so many are too harsh, too simple, or not natural.

This is quite lovely, it has a subtle complexity thanks to oakmoss, the caraway is subtle, not too spicy (to my nose anyway) the woods natural.

It seems fairly light, but don't underestimate the carrying effect of oakmoss (or ISO E etc).


Suggestions:
Season - Autumn/Winter
Suited to- daytime/low-key events/
Mood/style - relaxed, elegant, casual

No comments:

Post a Comment