Friday, September 7, 2018

Collection Extraordinaire Bois d'Iris, Van Cleef & Arpels

I love woody perfumes and orris/iris, so I was bound to enjoy this.

I also liked Traversee du Bosphore (iris/rose/amber/sweet) which this reminds me of slightly, except that Bois d'Iris is less sweet, far more woody, though soft and floaty like TdB.

This is natural, with a soft yet definite presence. It opens with a very distinct high quality iris/orris note that reminds me of Iris Silver Mist by Lutens, but then becomes more woody, very cedary, also sweet - a bit nutty, like nougat and rice paper.

The general impression is soft and gently elegant. It's one I'd wear if I didn't want to wear something too 'perfumey', for example on holiday in the country it would work beautifully, enhancing the natural smells around you yet lending a very pleasant aura.

If it was a colour it would be soft green or mauve, yet it's also quite sunny and uplifting unlike the more melancholy iris-based perfumes (I love those too, but I think Bois d'Iris is warmer thanks to the sweet, soft woody aspects)

I could imagine an author or composer wearing this while musing in a sunlit library. Lovely stuff!

Suggestions:
Season - Autumn/year round
Suited to- daytime/low-key events/relaxation
Mood/style - relaxed, elegant, gentle, casual

No comments:

Post a Comment