Friday, September 7, 2018

Back again! Perfumes for Autumn ...


I decided to take a break from blogging about perfume recently. Partly because perfume collecting/sniffing can be an expensive hobby, but also recently the priority was setting up my new house and focusing on painting so it's been a really busy time (if you'd like to check out my art blog here's a link -  Rose Strang Artworks).

I've only researched a few recently, including Ideo Parfumeur's Last Canto...


















It's appealing in many ways - as the title suggests, it's a flirty dance with a slight difference -  ultra femme in a coquettish slightly pink way, with touches of warm spice and animalic cumin.

If you're sensitive to cumin you'll get the sweaty tones, but it does stay pretty - warm with cinnamon, powdery with iris, mostly just the right touch of sweet, and a bit tasty with milky gourmand almond and fluffy heliotrope. I like that it touches on the contemporary mood of slightly retro powdery scents, while not being too predictable - a fairly imaginative perfume that stays pretty while being different and subtly sensual.

Having said that, there are some perfumes you know you can always wear, they just feel comfortable and right for any occasion, Last Canto wouldn't be one of those perfumes for me because although I find it pretty, it lacks the elegance and easy-to-wear feel of my favourites - it's slightly sweet and a touch sweaty - on some days I'd find it a bit sickly I think.

Today I'm testing out perfumes to wear for autumn - I had most of my perfumes in storage over summer months while I was traveling and I was surprised by the fact I missed my perfume collection since I thought I'd grown less fascinated by perfumery in general (fellow perfume aficionados will understand!) Turns out I just needed a break from it.

I've honed the collection down over the years quite a bit, so most of it consists of perfumes I'll definitely wear at some point. Over summer I survived on Prada's Infusion d'Iris and Cartier's Baiser Vole (I say this tongue-in-cheek, I do have some sort of perspective on life I hope!) but I did get a bit bored between those two perfumes, perfect as they are for any occasion in summer.

I found myself missing Ponte Vecchio for Women by Nobile (reviewed in my previous post - Here). I associate it with summer, but I think I'll have a few more wears of this into mid September, since it has a woody warmth deep down, also the dominant note of iris suits most seasons for me, except coldest winter. It does have a fairly bright white floral aspect though, and for me those develop best in warm weather when the soapier aspects soften, or blossom on warm skin, or the soapiness is refreshing on hot days.

I'm looking forward to wearing Rahele by Neela Vermeire this Autumn (also reviewed in my previous post Here) though I won't be buying a full bottle as I'd rarely wear it and it is pricy, like most perfumes made by independent niche houses. It's perfectly suited to early Autumn I think - with soft, spicy leathery notes against the powdery apricot fuzz of osmanthus.

I bought my decant of Rahele from the excellent online sample site 'First in Fragrance' which is based in Germany - link here - https://www.ausliebezumduft.de/

I'll be testing a few samples each month or so, so look forward to resuming posts here on a monthly basis at least.

I'll leave you with a photo from my recent trip to the beautiful area of Ardnamurchan on the west coast of Scotland, just imagine the lovely scent of wood and salty sea I experienced in this as yet unspoiled wilderness - breathe it in, aaaah!...













No comments:

Post a Comment